Adult Community Learning Essex takes seriously its responsibility for creating an environment that promotes well being and ensures personal safety, security and welfare.
ACL Essex also actively promotes British Values, defined by the Government as:
- The Rule of Law
- Individual Liberty
- Mutual Respect
- Tolerance of those of different faiths and beliefs
This includes challenging learners, staff and other service users that may express opinions that are contrary to these values including extremist views.
By actively promoting these values, we aim to:
- Keep you safe; all members of our staff are required to complete Safeguarding training including training on radicalisation;
- Help you become a valuable member of society who treats others with respect and tolerance, regardless of background;
- Celebrate difference and promote diversity;
- Encourage an understanding of the difficulties other cultures face where such values are not respected.
In order to do this we:
- Will embed different materials about democracy and how the law works into our curriculum areas;
- Provide staff development and training;
- Ensure learners have a voice that is listened to and valued;
- Encourage learners to become responsible learners, critical thinkers and to actively participate in their own learning and development;
- Promote British values through teaching sessions and tutorials.
Every member of our staff has a responsibility to help ensure your safety and welfare. If you are concerned in any way about the safety or wellbeing of yourself or someone else please contact one of our designated Safeguarding Officers as soon as possible.
Here are some the activities we use to promote British Values:
- Learner focus groups
- Satisfaction Questionnaires
- End of Course Surveys
- Curriculum activities
Rule of Law:
- Learner Handbook
- Staff ID badges
- Policies: e.g. Safeguarding policy, Harassment and Bullying policy, Computer Use policy which includes e-safety, etc.
- Teaching, Learning and Assessment Guide
- Health and Wellbeing Safeguarding
- PREVENT (the UK’s counter terrorism strategy preventing people from becoming involved with terrorism)
- Career and Employability information embedded in courses
- Learner Charter
- Annual calendar of events to celebrate difference and diversity
Tolerance of different faiths and beliefs:
- Annual calendar of religious festivals displayed on notice boards in centres
Designated Safeguarding Officers:
- Jill Newton – 07788 301 629
Deputy Designated Safeguarding Officers:
- Teresa Ablewhite – 07789 188 760
- Joanna Rice – 07584 909 459
- Lorretta Wiltshire – 07748 623 230
- Simon Burwood – 07780 493 367