Control of the document: ACL Senior Leadership Team
This policy is issued, controlled, and may only be modified by the designated policy group member after proposed amendments have been presented to the Quality Improvement Group
The latest version of the policy will be maintained by the Adult Community Learning Service (ACL) and updates sent to all Managers. It is important that the latest version of the policy is used at all times.
Policy Aims & Intention
The Resit Policy enhances the Examination Policy by providing consistent practice and service delivery service wide.
Responsibility Group SLT, Exams Leads & Exams Officers
Date of acceptance November 2007
Last Review Date November 2019
New Review Date September 2020
Audience: All Strategic, Curriculum and Operational Managers, Academic Staff, Support Staff, Volunteers, Learners and other Service Users
The following acts provide a framework defining practice:
- Resits will not be extended/offered to external candidates.
- Resits will only be accepted from persons enrolled as Learners who are up to date with tuition fees.
- Where possible, resits will be taken during the existing course.
- Where possible, resits will be arranged with other exams/assessments to make invigilation efficient.
- Learners will be able to take up to a maximum of 2 resits per module/exam (with the exception of GCSEs). Under exceptional circumstances further resits may be available, with permission from the Senior Leadership Team. Your tutor will need to complete the attached request form.
- All resits, excluding those for fully funded learners, will be charged in accordance with Awarding Body charges, plus an invigilation and admin cost of £15.
- Learners who fail to attend an exam without giving 24 hours’ notice to the Exam’s Office will be charged a resit fee at their next attempt at that exam.
- Details of all fees and charges payable are available on request through your local Exam’s Office.
- GCSE resits in November are only available to learners who were awarded a grade 3 (subject to agreement of the Curriculum Lead) at a cost of £100. (Please note, not all subjects are available to resit).
- GCSE resits are not available for learners who have been awarded a grade 1 or 2. In this instance the whole year of teaching and learning must be undertaken (subject to re-assessment).
- Resits will be only offered to learners, where appropriate and in line with exam board requirements.