Textiles tutor Debra has shared this quick and easy coaster tutorial so you can make a coaster with materials you may have laying around. Experiment using scraps of fabric and upcycle old denim jeans or clothing. Or machine stitch on the sewing machine and stitch a zig-zag stitch around the edge and add beads to the edge by hand stitching.
You will need:
- Two pieces of felt, different colours.
- Printed fabric.
- Sewing thread or embroidery thread.
- Scissors and a sewing needle.
Using the template shapes cut out the following:
- Use the packaging from a cereal box to make the templates.
- Large circle x 2 in felt.
- 1 large circle from printed fabric and then trim away 0.5cm around the circumference to make it slightly smaller.
- 1 small circle for the centre of the daisy in felt.
Place the daisy template on the wrong side of the printed fabric and draw around the outline
Place the printed fabric with the right side of the fabric facing down on top of the wrong side of one of the felt circles.
Stitch on the outline of the Daisy with a running stitch by hand, making sure you go through the two layers.
Turn the coaster to the right side and cut away the felt inside the Daisy shape making sure you leave a border of 0.5cm, this will expose the printed fabric. Be careful not to cut the printed fabric underneath.
Back the coaster with the other circle of felt and stitch around the edge of the coaster with a running stitch, 0.5cm in from the cut edge, making sure you go through all the layers of felt.
Finish by adding the small circle of felt to the centre of the Daisy, by stitching a criss-cross pattern through all the layers.
Be inspired and discover a hidden passion with our exciting range of online and in centre Summer courses. New September courses now live!
- Learn in a virtual classrooms where you can interact with other learners
- Experienced tutor support
- Financial support available
- Courses available all year round