Welcome from the Essex Community and Family Learning Team.
This is a time for solidarity as families – we are not here to judge, we are all doing the best jobs we can to support our children, ourselves and juggle whatever life has dealt us.
Why not try: “Things for the weekend”
F – Fact finding
- Why not create a den using blankets or sheets. It can be fun to share a fact story in a different place. In the den why not read by torchlight? Can you think of any stories that feature a cave or den or any creatures who live in dens or caves?
- Why not read a story, or on your walk – go exploring, come home and write, draw, take photos of, or discuss facts that you have found out. Why is the sky blue? How do bike gears work?
- Can older ones find out 10 facts that they didn’t know, impress their friends with creating an online quiz, or write in a letter to a grandparent. What about facts about the village or town you live in or join an online pen pal chat and devise some questions to find out facts about them.
A – Active
- How many times can you jump on the spot, stand on one leg? How many star jumps can you do in a minute? 5 minutes? How long does it take to run 1k, 5k? Can you do keepie-uppies with different tools?Can you set up outdoor games like egg and spoon race, tag team races, three legged races, or play stuck in the mud
M – Make memories
- It is so important to use this time to cuddle, to chat, to laugh, to cry, to make pictures of rainbows, to look through old photos, to make memories that will last long after this pandemic.
I – Imagination
- Can you make a crocodile shadow with your hand, can you make a den in your living room, can you make the table into a race track, can you paint stones to make a homemade game of noughts and crosses, can you make magic sand? Let your imagination run wild….
L – Learn something new
Y – You time
- Don’t forget how important it is to put your “oxygen mask” on so that today, tomorrow and in the future, you are able to take care of those that rely on you. Make yourself a cuppa, chat to friends rather than texting, sit and smell the flowers. BREATHE.
We would love to hear from you. What activities have you tried? What worked well? What would you like to share with others?
If you would like to connect with other parents on one of our LIVE virtual classrooms then don’t forget to check: https://aclessex.com/community-family-learning-online/