- Discuss the new school year with your child
- Develop a low cost or no cost reward system
- Create a celebration for the end of summer
- Explore fun lunchbox ideas
- Create a memory keepsake
Parent Top Tips:
- It is good to talk! – this is a massive period of change for both you and your children – allow time to talk, listen and reassure. You do not have to have all the answers – a listening ear is as important as having the solution. Remember all emotions are OK to have. Allow time to explore all of how they feel.
- Change can be difficult – discuss with your child some low cost or no cost rewards to help manage the next couple of weeks – maybe a movie night on Friday, or a trip to the park on Saturday or maybe an ice cream after doing the school shoe shopping – something to add positivity to a time which may feel overwhelming for your family.
- Endings are really important – often we avoid the end of something, saying goodbye, or moving on, but remember to celebrate the lockdown and summer – as a unique time, either as a goodbye or with sadness – but celebrate the moving on – this really helps with transitions.
- As lunchboxes may be an option you are now considering due to all the new measures at schools – check out our recipe of the week for ideas.
- Our children may benefit from having a keepsake to take to school with them to help them feel connected to us, and aid separation anxiety. Why not try and make a keepsake to put on a keyring!
Recipe of the week:
Healthy Lunch boxes
- Make your own – choose a main, add some fruit or salad, add a drink, and add a little something extra
- Hummus and salad wrap
- Cheesy coleslaw with pitta
- Egg mayonnaise and lettuce bap
- Soft cheese and salad sandwich
- Creamy hummus dip with pitta
- Salmon and salad bagel
- Tuna and bean salad
- Tuna mayonnaise and sweetcorn sandwich
- Spicy chicken wrap
Fruit or salad:
- Orange / satsuma
- Mixed salad
- Peach and strawberry slices
- Fruit juice (no added sugar)
Little something extra:
- Berries and yoghurt
- Sugar free jelly
- Malt loaf
- Tea cake
- Rice cakes