- Play a Maths game that you have at home e.g. Monopoly, Connect Four, dice and card games
- Design your own Maths game
- Check out & recommend a new Maths app or website
- Use Lego/K’nex/Duplo to enhance numeracy skills
- Maths on the go- make everyday activities maths focused
Parent Top Tips:
- Dust off those board games or even embrace tech to play family games – whether that be on PlayStation/Xbox or phones – but the key is doing it TOGETHER!
- Children enjoy making and designing and in order to make a maths game, they need to have secure knowledge of their Maths skills – help them to make a homemade dice –looking at nets (what a dice looks like unfolded) or what the steps of the game, or answers to questions they design.
- Encourage and praise the small achievements, this is all about FUN!!!
- Don’t take over when your children are playing, especially with Lego etc – your role is to be a descriptive commentator, a supporter!
- Use baking/cooking/washing/sorting toys into a maths activity – for more ideas – look at our recipe of the week, with highlighted mathematical terms
Recipe of the week:
- Cooking spray or butter
- 1 small onion
- 2 cups pre-cooked chicken, steak, or other preferred protein
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 8 eight-inch flour tortillas
- 2 large tomatoes
- Can or jar of enchilada sauce.
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Lightly grease a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray or butter.
- Cut 1 onion and 2 large tomatoes into small pieces.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the chicken or steak, onion, one cup of cheddar cheese, and 3 /4-cup of sour cream.
- Spoon the mixture evenly into eight tortillas. Roll the tortillas and place seam side down in a single layer in the baking dish. Set aside.
- In a saucepan over low heat, melt together two cups of cheddar cheese, 1 /4-cup of sour cream, and the enchilada sauce. Stir until well combined.
- Pour mixture over the rolled tortillas.
- Sprinkle the tomatoes on top.
- Bake in oven for 20 to 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.